Opening Weekend Of The NCAA Division I College Season
Bennage Leads The Way With First Career Goals As 12 FC Wisconsin Alums See Action On The Opening Weekend Of The NCAA Division I College Season
FC Wisconsin continues to have more college alums than any other club in the state of Wisconsin. With more than 80 alums currently playing college soccer across the U.S. at every level, FC Wisconsin players are making a big imprint when they move to the next stage of their careers.
This past weekend saw the NCAA Division I college season kickoff, and FC Wisconsin alums did not disappoint, playing major roles in their teams' successes. This week, the NCAA Division II and III as well as the NAIA will kickoff their seasons and even more FC Wisconsin alums will make their mark in college competitions across the country.
NCAA Division I:
- Davidson College: Freshman Vincent Bennage has taken the Carolinas by storm scoring two goals in two games to open his college career. The ECNL All-American, and Midwest Conference Player of the Year scored the game winner in the Wildcats 3-1 win over #24 ranked High Point University. Bennage would follow up this success with another goal in the 3-1 win over Campbell University to help the team to a 2-0 start on the season. The Wildcats will square off against the #6-ranked University of North Carolina on Monday night live on ESPN +.
- Marquette University: The Golden Eagles had a good start to their season going unbeaten on the weekend. They opened their season with a solid 2-0 win over UW-Green Bay. They then backed this up with a thrilling 4-3 win over SIU-Edwardsville. Senior captain Zak Wegner coming off a pre-season injury season was back in action helping the team to a 2-0 start on the season and a ranking of 13th in the country.
- St Louis University: The Billikens have had a strong start to the season defeating Louisville 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman Erich Legut saw his first action on the season in the 4-0 win over Creighton University and registered one shot on target.
- University of Wisconsin: The Badgers have opened the season with two hard fought games. Thursday saw the Badgers battle to a 1-1 tie with SIU-Edwardsville. On Sunday, Wisconsin would lose a close contest to in State rival UW-Green Bay 2-1. Red-shirt senior Ben Leas started and played the full 90 minutes in the both games of the season.
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee: The Panthers opened their season with a 2-1 come from behind win over Drake University. The game would see five FC Wisconsin alums in action, with freshman Colin Alba and sophomore Quinn Rechner getting game time for Milwaukee. Both Bradan Allen and Jaden Stevenson stated for the Bulldogs and Simar Perez saw action off the bench.
- University of Wisconsin – Green Bay: The Phoenix had a tough start to the season facing two in state rivals in the form of Marquette and Wisconsin. The Phoenix would open the season with a tough 2-0 loss at Marquette, however they would bounce back with a dramatic come from behind 2-1 win at Wisconsin scoring two goals in the final two minutes. Freshman Stjepan Peharda made his collegiate debut in the loss to Marquette registering a shot on target.
- Drake University: The Bulldogs bounced back from their opening day defeat to Milwaukee by beating Western Illinois 1-0. Seniors Bradan Allen and Jaden Stevenson started in both games and tallied a pair of shots in both matches. Simar Perez has also seen action in both games.
- Wright State University: It has been a tough start to the season for the Raiders losing both games on the opening weekend. FC Wisconsin North alum Alex Hummel started both games playing the full 90 minutes in the losses to Akron University and Kentucky University.
- University of St. Thomas: The Tommies entering their first season at the NCAA Division I level suffered two close losses on the opening weekend. Senior Niklas Martensson started in the 2-1 loss to Incarnate Word, making two saves.
For a complete list of the FC Wisconsin players in college, please click here.
For more information about FC Wisconsin and all our teams, please visit fcwisconsin.com/programs.
Facebook: FC Wisconsin Nationals